I love being challenged to do something others are not doing. At least when it comes to silk and shibori, there are out-takes. In my mind I had a vision of the pattern, the colors, the full picture….but something just did not work out. So I have a few pieces of silk that are out-takes, things that need to be repurposed.
And a challenge to produce soft silk sculptured wearable pieces for a lovely spring gallery show at The Log Cabin in Peninsula. I did make a few for Textile Art Alliance and they were a hit. So I looked through my out takes….
One such piece was a 3 ft square that I dyed in a blend of oranges, deep golden yellow and hints of a deep chocolate brown. Had the dye flowed as I hoped this would have been vivid…instead it was not so much. The colors even had a hint of washed out chartreuse. But it became an orphan piece… Until last night.
Initially I was trying to sew together a sunflower for a brooch by clipping strips of that piece of silk and tacking it to form petals…. A splash of glass beads, and I realized it was too big for a brooch…..