Is it just me, or are there some mondays that come along that require so much more effort to be motivated? Generally i am a highly motivated person that keeps on going, finding more and more tasks to complete, or burning issues that need addressed.
but today it was bitter cold at 5am when i opened the door and took my dogs out. And it was still frosty on the drive in to work. I wanted to just be a big old bear and return to my bed with its warm covers. But, alas, I am an adult and i have to do adult things, like work.
So how do you find motivation when yours is missing in action? What do you do to refocus your energy? Here are a few things I find helpful:
- put a pot of coffee on, or brew your favorite tea. Getting that boost of caffiene will energize you.
- Dont touch your cell phone, ipad, or computer for at least the first 15-30 minutes of your morning. Instead, spend that time quiet, or read, or meditate, or take a shower… but dont invite the electronics in until you are settled.
- Take 5-10 minutes to plan out your day. It could be simple like a list of what goals you have for the day, or it could be complex, with a priority. Planning helps you stay on point.
- eat something. Often we are more distracted when we are hungry. Try to focus on healthy, like fruit, nuts, healthy foods. Feed your body and you feed your mind.
- if you normally work sitting down, stand up. Its a growing trend to use a standing desk. But it is also a good plan to get up and take a short walk every hour to keep the blood circulating.
- Call a friend that is always a source of encouragement…. and tell them where you are with your day. Often a 5 minute conversation with a good friend can put thoughts and motivation back on track.
Well, I hope your monday is going well, and if you are struggling with focus and motivation remember this – You are good at what you do! And the world needs the gifts and talents you bring to the table. Take a deep breath and join me in saying “Lets Do This!”