How do you handle time?
Managing time is one of those “essential” skills that crosses over every boundary, no matter whether you stay at home and run your household, or juggle a career or business. Time management is as effective as you are at doing the planning.
In that graphic at the top is a lot of information that points to the process of planning… so many things to keep in mind, or allow for. I must tell you that i struggle sometimes – after planning well, something diverts my attention or begs to divert my day or evening all together. Here are some basics that i use:
- Take at least 15 minutes every day to sit with a notebook or tablet, pen and your calander or planner
- list all of the activities and projects you need to get done.
- assign a reasonable length of time to each task
- prioritize the tasks – most urgent first
- check off tasks as they are completed.
- keep a clock or timer handy…. eggtimer.com is a free timer that allows you to set a clock time, and minimize it in the background while you work. it will alert you when time is up.
- be reasonable in making decisions on what else to take on – and learn what you can and cannot do. Learn to say no when you need to.
- Eliminate distractions when possible – they will only steer you off course.
- Eliminate time wasters – social media is great, but it can grow into a monster out of control – develop a strict limit of how much time you will spend on facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc.
- Celebrate completion of difficult projects – give yourself a well deserved break, or stretch, or cup of tea.
Your time management is only as good as the effort you put into it… spend time up front planning, but be reasonable of your capabilities and plan the time with some breaks, and down time.